Re: [SLUG] export:DISPLAY

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 18:07:46 EST

Paul Hostetler wrote:

VNC does what you want and more.

VNC does work, but in my experience, it is much slower than using the
native X protocol, and operates at the desktop level, not at the
single-app level (yuck!). To use the native X protocol:

1) open an xterm on the box where you are sitting
2) "xhost +" to allow X connections from remote machines
3) "ssh myhomemachine" the rest of what you type will be on your home server
4) "export DISPLAY=208.18.136.9:0" of course, you need to use the IP
address of the workstation where you are sitting (and if there is a
firewall in the way, it must allow X connections to come in, and if you
are behind a masquerading box, this will be difficult).
5) "netscape" or whatever program you want to run. When the app (ie
netscape) sees the DISPLAY=208.18.136.9:0 in its environment, it will
"draw" all of its windows, widgets, etc on the X server at your school
instead of on its local CRT. (Don't flame me for the unscientific
explanation, I am trying to get someone up and running).

NOTE: you said that you are using SSH. SSH understands how to setup the
environment for remote X sessions. After you SSH into your home
machine, type "echo $DISPLAY". You should see that it is already setup
properly to connect back to your school. Just type "netscape" and it
should work. In fact, this might resolve all problems with masquerading
and firewalls (at the school side anyway), because SSH sets-up an X
proxy, and all of the X traffic comes back over the encrypted channel.
 I think that this will remove the need for allowing new TCP/IP
connections???

--ronan