Re: [SLUG] export:DISPLAY

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 08:26:12 EST

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:50:51AM -0500, Bill wrote:
> Yesterday, Andrew Wyatt posted the following line:
> export DISPLAY=localhost:0;X :0&xterm&
>
> I want to log in to my home box from school and see my home box as if
> sitting at it ... GUI and all.
>
> How is this done? What man page should I be looking at? "man DISPLAY"
> comes up empty. I have seen discussions of exporting video output but
> didn't pay much attention to them at the time (was still trying to
> figure out how to use RPM's). Now, I could use the information and I
> don't even know where to start searching for it.

check out mans: xinit, startx, ssh. I am not sure if there is a how-to
somewhere.

> I can ssh -2 from home to school and ssh from school back home. I
> have Linux at both ends but only the terminal window at school. (from
> a computer local to the school I telnet into the Linux (RH6.0) server
> at the school and from there can ssh on home. I leave my home box up
> 24 / 7.

I have never tried this with more than two machines involved. I doubt
it will work that way... but here is my setup with two machines:

passwordless ssh authentication is set up, and I'm using ssh1. It is
alot faster than ssh2. Here is my .xinitrc-remote file:

executing:

xinit ~/.xinitrc-remote -- :1

will start my remote session on what will be known as server #1. This
is so that if I want start my local desktop, I switch back to my
original tty and use:

the original xinit is probably still running, so put it in the
background with CTRL-Z, then bg <enter>, then:

xinit -- :0

and have a virtual KVM, switching between my local and remote desktop
with CTRL-ALT (3|4). Not the most elegant way, but it works for me :)

good luck...