[SLUG] export:DISPLAY

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 03:50:51 EST

Yesterday, Andrew Wyatt posted the following line:
export DISPLAY=localhost:0;X :0&xterm&

I want to log in to my home box from school and see my home box as if
sitting at it ... GUI and all.

How is this done? What man page should I be looking at? "man DISPLAY"
comes up empty. I have seen discussions of exporting video output but
didn't pay much attention to them at the time (was still trying to
figure out how to use RPM's). Now, I could use the information and I
don't even know where to start searching for it.

I can ssh -2 from home to school and ssh from school back home. I
have Linux at both ends but only the terminal window at school. (from
a computer local to the school I telnet into the Linux (RH6.0) server
at the school and from there can ssh on home. I leave my home box up
24 / 7.

I have 90 minutes between Cisco Academy and my Shell programming
course and I thought I'd try to get something useful done on the home
machine without having to waste time driving home.

Besides which, it gives my Unix instructor a warm feeling to see a
student who has a clue what Unix / Linux can do :-)

Bill

Mem:   1545352    1192972     352380          0     339768     584896
Swap:   401584          0     401584
Total: 1946936    1192972     753964
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
3:39am  up 6 days,  7:13,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00