[SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - scsi emulation

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 01:01:28 EST

Hello sluggers,

Uh Oh, Saw a post tonite asking if a post to the list was one of the
dozen questions.

Nope, that one wasn't, but this one is. Number 5 in a series designed
to test the knowledge and expertise of the Sluggers. Which, just
coincidentally, happens to solve problems for me.

No, seriously,

Tried to convert my cdrecorder from ide to emulated scsi so that I
can start burning CD's Followed instructions downloaded from Suse.
Running Suse 7.1
These are the steps I did.

# 1 - Went into lilo.conf and added the statement hdc=ide-scsi
# 2 - Went into /etc/init.d/boot.local and added this statement
          /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
# 3 - Created a softlink ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder
# 4 - Created a directory /media/cdrecorder
# 5 - Went into fstab and checked to make sure the line about the
cdrecorder was correct. /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder auto
ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

When I try to mount the cdrecorder as root or as user, I get the
message "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device"

The line in fstab is correct, the soft link exists, and a cat
/proc/modules shows the ide-scsi module loaded. a cat /proc/scsi/scsi
shows no devices, but I assume that won't show until the cdrecorder is
mounted. Could it be that scd0 is not the right module? I have a USB
camera that loads as a scsi device but it is sda1.

Can somebody show me what I am doing wrong here?

Bob S.