[SLUG] Need a book recommendation for Shell Programming

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 00:31:02 EST

Arghhh! Details, details!
<rant>
I am drowning in a shell programming book right now. "UNIX Shell
Programming" (Kochan & Wood, Hayden Books UNIX System Library, 1990 /
SAMS). I can't recommend the book to anyone except a couple of guys I
wouldn't miss. You know who you are. :-)

The book is so poorly (IMHO) written that I am on my second set of
man files, having worn the first set out correcting stuff from the
4th chapter. Only 16 chapters to go.<sigh> By closely following the
examples in the book, it only took me 14 hours to program the answers
to 4 questions so they actually worked as advertised.

Hint to wannabee textbook / how-to authors: all the terms in a
regular expression must be _explicitly_ defined _somewhere_ in the
book, preferably shortly prior to their first appearance in an actual
expression. They should NOT make their first appearance buried in an
external document for which you have not even provided so much as a
frimpin' reference!

I lost _hours_ tracking down the meaning and use of the letter 'g' in
ed. Unlike most of the rest of the letters in the alphabet, the man
page comments for 'g' do NOT begin with the letter 'g' in the margin
... nope, the first mention of the letter 'g' having global
implications is buried in a paragraph. I caught it on my third
read-through.

Grrrr!
</rant>

I am stuck with using this book for the duration of the class; but
can anyone recommend a GOOD shell programming book to learn from? I
am pulling straight A's in the class; but I think I am going to need
some sort of remedial coursework when I am done.

I am cross-posting because I _need_ to learn Shell Programming and
I've _gotta_ have better information than this book provides. We're
talking a biological imperative, here. Real, dire, need.

Bill

Mem:   1545352    1252780     292572          0     336524     631668
Swap:   401584          0     401584
Total: 1946936    1252780     694156
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
12:09am up 3 days, 21:56,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00