Re: [SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - scsi emulation

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 00:42:51 EST

On Saturday 24 November 2001 04:40 am, you wrote:
> On Saturday 24 November 2001 1:01 pm, you wrote:
> > Hello sluggers,
>
> Make sure the line in lilo.conf reads
>
> append "hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> Neil

OOOooops.....My mistake..... Typo .. I misled you all.
Actually the line does read:
append = "hdc=ide-scsi" It is hdc, have 2 hard drives.

Trouble is it doesn't work. Here is a corrected update of what I did.

# 1 - Went into lilo.conf  and added the statement
          append = "hdc=ide-scsi"
# 2 - Went into  /etc/init.d/boot.local  and added this statement
          /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
# 3 - Created a softlink      ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder
# 4 - Created a directory   /media/cdrecorder
# 5 - Went into fstab and checked to make sure the line about the
cdrecorder was correct.
  /dev/cdrecorder    /media/cdrecorder  auto ro,noauto,user,exec  0 0

When I try to mount the cdrecorder as root or as user, I get the
message   "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device"

Is the line in fstab correct? The soft link exists, and a cat
/proc/modules shows the ide-scsi module loaded.  a cat /proc/scsi/scsi
shows no devices, but I assume that won't show until the cdrecorder is
mounted.  Could it be that scd0 is not the right module?  I have a USB
camera that loads as a scsi device but it is sda1.

Does anyone have any other ideas? (After unintentionally misleading
you with my inattentive typing?)

Bob S