[SLUG] MISSED OPPORTUNITY AT TAMPA FEST

From: Doc - KD4E (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 00:05:29 EST

I attended the annual Tampa Fest at the Manatee Convention
Center today. It was bigger and better than 2000!

Everywhere I went I asked about Linux and there was more
interest than in 2000 -- but Linux was nealy non-existent but
for one person using it to run a wireless link 3 miles to a
government facility.

A SLUG table where copies of Linux CDs are offered at
cost, where Linux demos are presented, and where Linux
questions are answered would make a huge splash.

The Amateur Radio community is a natural for Linux and
the Tampa Fest seems to draw a larger-than-usual population
of technologically proficient and serious Amateur Radio
operators.

The fest continues tomorrow so anyone interested in seeing
this first hand may still do so, though I don't know if the
attendance will be as high -- I never attend on Sundays.

doc