Re: [SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - No luck

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 00:27:18 EST

On Friday 30 November 2001 12:36 pm, you all wrote:

Mario wrote:
> Bob, I'll try to help you. It has been a while since I've burned
> a CD.
>
> Steps #1, #2, and #3 are fine.
>
> I don't believe the mount command can accept anything short of a
> real /DEVice. In other words, you can't use a softlink here--which
> is why you got "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device." Secondly, and for
> that reason, you must use a real device (/dev/scd0) in /etc/fstab.
> Knowing this, remove /dev/cdrecorder in your /etc/fstab and replace
> it with /dev/scd0 since this was your original target. When you're
> out of editing fstab, make sure you create a directory where
> /dev/scd0 can exist; do a mkdir /cdrecorder. Your fstab will be
> complaint with the mount command.

OK, Did as suggested and changed /dev/cdrecorder to /dev/scd0.
There already was a directory , /media/cdrecorder as was suggested by
Suse and is in the fstab file as the mount prompt. Now when I do a
"mount /dev/scdo or a mount /media/cdrecorder" I get the same result
with differnt words: "mount: /dev/scd0 unknown device"

> About the actual CD burning software, the only reason I can see you
> wanted to use /dev/cdrecorder is if your software incessantly wants
> to hit the device directly and doesn't know of another you can
> select--In this case, /dev/cdrecorder.

Can't get that far. "cdrecord -scanbus" produces a "No such file or
directory. Cannot open scsi driver" Although this is what I want to
do, I am trying to mount it to make sure it is recognized and to be
able to read from the drive.

> In reply, could you post your entire /etc/fstab? I really hope
> this works for you. Sorry I was so lengthy.

Don't be sorry about being lengthy. Need any and all help I can get.
Here is the fstab composed as you have suggested. Doesn't make any
difference as stated earlier:

/dev/hdb1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrecorder auto defaults,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2 /windows/C vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda3 /windows/D vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda5 /windows/E vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda6 /windows/F vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hdb5 /windows/G vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hdb4 swap swap defaults 0 2
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
Scott wrote:

>are you sure that you have a device cdrecorder in /dev  ?  It seems
>to me that's the problem, but then I could  be wrong.

Thanks, but no. Definitely have a "cdrecorder" in the /dev file.
Bill wrote:

>For burning, you should only need the ide-scsi and sg modules.

>When you modprobe ide-scsi, there should be a message either at the
>console or appended to dmesg. Here's what I get:

>scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>  Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: CR-4804TE         Rev: 3.0D
>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

OK, I am loading sg and ide-scsi at boot time in /rc.d/local
A cat /proc/modules shows both of them loaded.

>first, get the device id from cdrecord -scanbus:
>$ cdrecord -scanbus

A cdrecord -scanbus returns with a no devices reply, unless
I turn on my usb camera and then it shows the module sda and and sg
and then identifies the camera.

>You mention 'mounting' the drive. As you can see from the above,
>mounting is not really necessary. If you wanted to read a cdrom, then
>you'd need to mount it first. For that you'll need another module
>named 'sr_mod.o'.

>oading that, modprobe sr_mod (with the ide-scsi module also loaded),
>gives the message:

Don't seem to have a module sr_mod. At least modprobe cannot find it.

>This is where the problem is. If ide-scsi is loaded, that should be
>enough to register a listing in /proc/scsi/scsi. Perhaps the append
>line is not working out. Use the output of dmesg to check if the boot
>process is going as planned. Post the dmesg output... maybe one of us
>can find a clue.

I think that you are probably correct. I don't see anything in dmesg
that describes hdc as a scsi drive. I have tried every possible
location and syntax for the append line in lilo.config. And yes, I
ran a lilo each time.

Here is partial of dmesg starting where the drives are described:

hda: Maxtor 86480D6, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC WD300BB-00AUA1, ATA DISK drive
hdc: WPI CDRW-4424, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 12658776 sectors (6481 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=787/255/63,
UDMA(33)
hdb: 58633344 sectors (30020 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=3649/255/63,
UDMA(33)
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 > hdb3 hdb4
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Uncompressing...............................................................................done.
Freeing initrd memory: 438k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
change_root: old root has d_count=2
Trying to unmount old root ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 108k freed
Adding Swap: 240964k swap-space (priority -1)
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:09.0
IPv6 v0.8 for NET4.0
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.259 $ time 16:00:47 Jul 24 2001
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.251:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid.c: v1.16:USB HID support drivers
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20000928 on minor 63
paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Autoprobe failed
pg: No ATAPI device detected
[...]
scsi : 0 hosts left.
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
root@linux:/ >

Bill also wrote:

>Fiddling around, I got the following error msg.:
>[bill@a bill]$ mount /dev/cdrom2
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom2,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

>Just a shot in the dark, but are you linking to the right device?

I really don't know at this point. If you are asking whether I have
a cdrom 2 or not, the answer is no. I have one /dev/cdrecorder (hdc)
and one /dev/cdrom (hdd)

Bob S.