Re: [SLUG] performance of linux vs windows nt/2000

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 23:34:47 EST

Ok. 19" screen, 1200x1024 resolution, 16bpp I ran (I believe) a mesa demo
called tunnel(?) that scored my fps at almost 300 because it really wasn't
doing much, and was probably using display lists to speed up performance. I'm
not sure which game it was that I was running that gave me a 35fps score, but
I believe it was Soldier of Fortune set on one of the insane 'everybody comes
back from the dead to shoot at you again' settings. Again, it's a Voodoo3
3000 with XF86 ver. 4.1.0 on dual celeron 433 with 512M ram. Same resolution
and as full a screen I could get on both apps.

What I really meant to get at was that Linux is a little more efficient with
most hardware, but when it comes to things like video cards, even the
companies that make them tend to fudge the drivers a bit. Look at older
NVidia drivers for an indication of this (these have improved). You can't
really base any buying decisions on benchmarks alone. My Voodoo3 is good
enough for me, and runs accelerated OGL just fine. A G-Force 3 might have
better overall performance but it's not better enough to warrant going out an
buying a new card. That's pretty much all I meant.

Just don't make cash decisions based on benchmarks unless you do them
yourself.

        Glen