Re: [SLUG] performance of linux vs windows nt/2000

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 01:09:51 EST

On Sunday 09 December 2001 23:34, you wrote:
> Ok. 19" screen, 1200x1024 resolution, 16bpp I ran (I believe) a
> mesa demo called tunnel(?)
Clipped

> What I really meant to get at was that Linux is a little more
> efficient with most hardware, but when it comes to things like
> video cards, even the companies that make them tend to fudge the
> drivers a bit.
Clipped

> Just don't make cash decisions based on benchmarks unless you do
> them yourself.
>
> Glen

I concur ... completely ... as evidenced by my original post.

Clipped

> > Run your own tests on your own equipment. FPS is a good measure
> > of vid card speed ... but did you notice that Glen did not tell
> > you the size / resolution of the screen he was running ? A couple
> > hundred fps in a 2"/2" window running an 8 color palette at low
> > resolution is not especially encouraging. It's only nice if you
> > just want to run test patterns. :-)
> >
> > I don't think Glen did this ... not at all ... but my point is
> > that he did not document the exact circumstances at which he got
> > a very favorable frame rate.

By which I intended to point out that any comparison he might make
based on your experience would be very subjective unless he could
duplicate its circumstances. If he is running identical hardware &
software, then a benchmark becomes useful. But if he is running
something that differs in even a tiny-seeming detail (8m of video ram
instead 16, for instance) someone else's benchmark is nothing more
than a vague quideline.

People who believe what they read on the outside of software /
hardware packages are the lawful prey of the fiction writers the
world over.

Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly the first time. I hope this
post remedies that.

Bill

Mem:   1545352    1120752     424600          0     318240     538856
Swap:   401584          0     401584
Total: 1946936    1120752     826184
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
 12:21amup 1 day,  1:35,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.29, 0.25