Re: [SLUG] KVM switches

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 23:30:53 EST

I had a rotary kind. I never had problems with the mouse though;
just during boot up with the keyboard. I would invest in a KVM to
respond to keyboard sequences rather than rotary switches. Also,
it's true the cables certainly add up if you're not careful. I think
all of mine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 for four ports.
Now, I don't use them.

I think my next one may be a Raritan, Cybex, or Lightwave. I see
their ads in the Processor rag every month, and they look pretty
good. I called Cybex last year, and they told me all of theirs are
made in the USA. I never buy crucial hardware made in China or
Taiwan--the quality and reliability simply isn't there. If you can
afford it, see what sysadmins use in production. You'll find some of
the bigger pricey brand names. I know some units from the three
makers above can haul everything (even sound) over a proprietary
protocol over CAT5 up to 1000 feet. Not to sound or be confused with
X.

Mario