Re: [SLUG] 6th of a dozen questions

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 06:33:20 EST

This is an X windows problem unrelated to your scanner.

Whatever user you logged into X as 'owns' the desktop. Your snippet
shows that you are trying to run xsane as root. The 'server' referred
to is the X server generating your display. The "0:0" nomenclature
means the first display on the first monitor (or vice versa). There
are 2 ways to fix this, each with different implications.

1) login as root. I don't like this because it is easy to forget and
start browsing as root.

2) grant root access to the display. The traditional way is with the
use of the xhost command. The problem with xhost is that it is easy
to give lots of people access to your display. For instance
xhost +
means anyone, anywhere who can get to your IP:6000 can put stuff on
your desktop. Not good
xhost +localhost
will allow anyone on your box to do the same. Obviously a bit safer.
xhost +root@localhost
restricts it to just root. There are other security implications as
well.

Russ's idea is clever too, since ssh usually takes care of the xhost
part in its own way. And it will cover all the security bases quite
nicely.

Jim Wildman, CISSP jim@rossberry.com
817-308-3868 http://www.rossberry.com