[SLUG] 6th of a dozen questions

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 23:30:10 EST

Hello Sluggers,

First of all let me wish you all a great holiday season. I hope that
you will be with family and loved ones during this special time of
the year. I will have children and grandchildren visiting from
far-away places this Christmas.

Anyway, I know you all have been waiting patiently and with great
expectation for the 6th in this series of puzzling and baffling
problems in need of solutions. Your great experience and knowledge
is set to the challenge. Hmmmm....Maybe we ought to have a Sluggers
Jeopardy or something :)

Anyway, here it is :

Been struggling for months now trying to make my scanner work. An
Artec A6000 Plus. Supported. Couldn't make the Artec supplied scsi
card be recognized. Changed it out for an Adaptec 152x. That is now
recognized. The low level and high level modules are being loaded.
A check in the "dev" directory shows that a device "scanner" has
been created. It has a symlink to /dev/sg1

Ex: lsmod shows the aha152x loaded after boot. A
"cat /proc/scsi/scsi" shows the scanner being there with an id of 5
and luns 1 thru 7. If I do an "xscanimage" or a "scanimage --device"
or an "xsane" I get the following message.

root@linux:/ > xsane
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

Going back and checking "lsmod" I see that now the high level module
"sg" has also been loaded as a result of that command. I have done a
"chmod a+rw /dev/scanner" also thinking that this message may have
something to do with permissions,

Sooooo......What am I doing wrong here????

Bob S.