Re: [SLUG] 6th of a dozen questions

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 23:46:39 EST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Bob Stia wrote:

> root@linux:/ > xsane
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

> this message may have something to do with permissions,

right issue -- wrong resource

I note that you are in the / directory, show as user root, but
have a differnt that conventional prompt. This indicates you
may have changed root's shell, or posibly came in in another
userid. The unserid you came in as 'owns' rights to place
content on the X display; root does not.

Please, let's do this cleanly; reboot; log in and start X as
an end user; open a console, and if you are running SSHD,
please run: ssh root@localhost [This approach
gives root the needed access to the display.]

(Alternatively; if you are NOT running an sshd, just log in as
root, and startx as root, as well. Then open a console )

And then run the xsane program as root.

If it is necessary to insmod sg you may do so as root,
and then fire up the scanner program in that console.

-- Russ