[SLUG] Porting VB to ansi C++ Your thoughts?

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 08:18:41 EST

Hi All

I'm just getting started on a personal project to port a VB application to
C++ or maybe Java.

I have a simple app I developed a few years back that basically keeps track
of people's name and address and then how much they donated to the charity.
pretty simple one to many stuff with a few reports. Well, as a learning
experience I want to port or recreate the app under linux.

I've even considered asking the SLUG community if they would like to get
involved. No pay but this is an incorporated charity that can provide a
letter for the tax deduction of work/service donated. So let me know if you
might be interested in helping.

Here are some of the challenges I see I'd appreciate any input y'all have on
solutions:

1. Database. - currently the app uses an MS Access mdb file. I don't know of
any equivalent product under linux. Does anyone? I looked at PostgreSQL and
MySql but they are too big for this app.

2. interface - I am going to have to learn how to port the interface to Qt or
some other style.

3. Reports. Currently the reports are Crystal Reports. I'll need to find a
report tool for linux.

So let me know what you think, is there anything I missed? What other
pitfalls should I look for?

Regards
Russ W