Re: [SLUG] Porting VB to ansi C++ Your thoughts?

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 10:15:51 EST

Porting the VB App would be a great exercise. However, my suggestion would
be "LAMP" since it sounds like you are going the Linux route.

L == Linux
A == Apache
M == MySQL
P == PHP

The above works great with the three criteria you mentioned: database,
interface, and reporting. Althought the learning curve and time maybe
longer than just porting the VB app, the end result would be a great
system that can be accessed from any terminal with a browser.

I am willing to volunteer my time on developing such a system.

Kai

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Russ Wright wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm just getting started on a personal project to port a VB application to
> C++ or maybe Java.
>
> I have a simple app I developed a few years back that basically keeps track
> of people's name and address and then how much they donated to the charity.
> pretty simple one to many stuff with a few reports. Well, as a learning
> experience I want to port or recreate the app under linux.
>
> I've even considered asking the SLUG community if they would like to get
> involved. No pay but this is an incorporated charity that can provide a
> letter for the tax deduction of work/service donated. So let me know if you
> might be interested in helping.
>
> Here are some of the challenges I see I'd appreciate any input y'all have on
> solutions:
>
> 1. Database. - currently the app uses an MS Access mdb file. I don't know of
> any equivalent product under linux. Does anyone? I looked at PostgreSQL and
> MySql but they are too big for this app.
>
> 2. interface - I am going to have to learn how to port the interface to Qt or
> some other style.
>
> 3. Reports. Currently the reports are Crystal Reports. I'll need to find a
> report tool for linux.
>

> So let me know what you think, is there anything I missed? What other
> pitfalls should I look for?
>

> Regards
> Russ W

- --

Kai Lien

DSA key ID 39BD44C0

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

_/I\_____________o______________o___/I\ l * / /_/ * __ ' .* l
I"""_____________l______________l___"""I\ l *// _l__l_ . *. l
 [__][__][(******)__][__](******)[__][] \l l-\ ---//---*----(oo)----------l
 [][__][__(******)][__][_(******)_][__] l l \\ // ____ >-( )-< / l
 [__][__][_l l[__][__][l l][__][] l l \\)) ._****_.(......) .@@@:::l
 [][__][__]l .l_][__][__] .l__][__] l l ll _(o_o)_ (@*_*@ l
 [__][__][/ <_)[__][__]/ <_)][__][] l l ll ( / \ ) / / / ) l
 [][__][ /..,/][__][__][/..,/_][__][__] l l / \\ _\ \_ / _\_\ l

In Kai's house it is warm and toasty while fuzzies play in the snow outside.

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse.
                -- Thomas Szasz