Re: [SLUG] Default access rights.... (questions from a newbie - continued)

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 13:03:45 EST

On Monday 24 December 2001 08:13 am, you wrote:
> Thanks this will give good information on direction. What about .jsp or
> .php should they be granted execute rights? I am a bit embarrassed to
> admit that I don't fully understand Unix implementation of file security.
> I understand the basic (how to read it ls -lF, just not the affects of file
> security on other apps , such as apache.) I presume that server-side
> scripting would need "x" rights.

Looking through apache from SuSE I noticed that you also need to turn of SSI
by commenting out the lines 504 - 506 in:
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

These are turned on for the demo pages but should be off (unless you need
SSI, which is not recommended on a public server for security reasons).

Steve

P.S. Thanks Matt, for umask which I missed to answer! : )