Re: [SLUG] HELLLLLP Kernal panics - long post

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 13:19:54 EST

Russell Hires wrote:

> Don't forget that Linux is much more sensitive to bad hardware. That is
> implicite here, but I thought I'd state it for the record. Linux doesn't
> crash. The hardware, though, is another story...

Not just strictly "bad" hardware, but also "flaky" hardware. In cases
where the hardware doesn't follow spec, or just doesn't work quite
"correctly" Windows can often "give up" and work in some "least common
denominator" type mode and ignore the bits that aren't really working
properly, where Linux will attempt to do "the right thing" with what the
hardware is _supposed_ to do, and break. (Look through the kernel
source code for comments on workarounds for broken hardware, and also
for comments on why certain extremely broken hardware just isn't worth
the effort to make. Make sure there are no minors around in some
cases. :)

Err, I've forgotten who had the initial problem, but if you can get
Linux on the box again, get a root login shell and run the commands
'lspci and 'dmesg' and post the outputs to the list.

With Microsoft products, failure is not an option --
                                     it's a standard component.
Choose your life.  Choose your future.            Derek Glidden
         Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/