Re: [SLUG] OLD hardware to give away!!!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 02:00:50 EST

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 08:02:57PM -0500, Ed Centanni wrote:

> My initial reaction was "surely Linux will not run on an old PC-XT", but
> I decided to make sure before replying. Glad I did.
>
> The ELKS (Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset
> http://elks.sourceforge.net/faq/english-faq.html#1.4) could probably be
> made to run but don't expect a point-and-click install or much
> functionality after booting up.

I stand corrected. This has come up before, and conventional wisdom was
that it was only with the advent of the 80386 that the Intel CPUs were
able to do the memory management necessary to run Linux. So the
suggestion was always to run something else on 808Xs, like maybe Minix.

Thanks to the man with the Vast Underground Cavern of Links, we now know
that Anita can fire up her gcc cross-compiler and run a subset of Linux
on her XT machine! Anita, we'll be waiting for a full report!

;-}

Paul

P.S. I believe that the GNU Project is currently working on the Fence
Post Cross Compiler (FPCC), in case anyone has fence posts they'd like
to run Linux on. I'm told it will be ready Real Soon Now (tm).