Re: [SLUG] OLD hardware to give away!!!

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 20:02:57 EST

My initial reaction was "surely Linux will not run on an old PC-XT", but
I decided to make sure before replying. Glad I did.

The ELKS (Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset
http://elks.sourceforge.net/faq/english-faq.html#1.4) could probably be
made to run but don't expect a point-and-click install or much
functionality after booting up.

Excerpts from the web site:
"Are there any ready-to-run distributions of ELKS?
Not yet. You need to use a standard Linux machine, download the sources,
and cross-compile to generate the 8086 target code. Boot and root disk
images are provided with the current version of ELKS, but all they do is
act as a platform for testing the system, and very little can be done
with them."

"it is already able to boot, provide virtual consoles, mount a root
minix filesystems floppy, provide basic serial and parallel I/O, connect
to another computer over a null-modem SLIP link, and start various small
programs.

I'm starting to believe that Linux will run on a fence post!

Ed.