Re: [SLUG] Modem help

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:31:02 EST

well, have you tried something like pppconfig or wvdial? They set up
the options for you. You could also do it manually, with the
/etc/ppp/peers/[yourconnection_name] containing something like [replace
the brackets and info inside with what is appropriate for you]

hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/[choose a name for your
isp connection - see below]"
debug [just until your connection works properly]
/dev/ttyS[your modem serial port]
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user [your isp account name]
usepeerdns [ if you don't want to enter the dns ip manually ]

The /etc/chatscripts directory contains the file referenced above with
the name of your choosing, and it shoud be something like

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO
DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK ATDT[your isp phone number]
# ispconnect
CONNECT \d\c

Your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file needs a line down at the bottom with

[your isp user account name] * [your account password]

then you can make a connection with

pppd call [your connection name]

You do know that your account is just user and not user@ij.net?

    scott