Re: [SLUG] Short term memory problem

From: Robin (Roblimo) Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 08:22:57 EST

> What was the name again (and website) of that distro you were loading at the
> Brandon meeting last night.
> thanks Jim

It was/is ELX Linux, http://www.elxlinux.com/

I'm going to play with it a bit more before writing a review. So far,
I'd say the install is pretty darn easy, comparable with Redmond Linux,
but that it's not quite as "cute" in some ways. On the other hand, ELX
has the only OpenOffice 641 (stable build) RPMs I've seen, and is the
only distro I've seen that automatically installed and started the
NeoMagic sound card that is a stumbling block in so many laptop Linux
installs. On the gripping hand, ELX installs some things by default,
like webmin, that open potential security holes, and I found the "select
individual packages" screen pretty confusing and ended up sticking to
the default package groups.

ELX and Redmond both represent stunning advances in ease of install and
menu simplification, and both have a little ways to go before they are
as good as they could be, but the people behind both are aware of the
deficiencies are working hard to overcome them. It's kind of exciting to
see two separate groups, one in Washington State and one in Hyderbad,
India, doing such excellent -- and similar -- work.

What I would *really* like to see is a partnership between Redmond and
ELX. They are very similar. Combine the best features of both and I
think you'd have a distro that would dominate and increase the Linux
desktop market.

- Robin