Re: [SLUG] Windows 95 source code revealed!!!

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 02:09:43 EST

On Sunday 13 January 2002 23:06, you wrote:
> Steven:
>
> Thank you for voicing this for me. I just joined the group a couple
> days ago and was seriously thinking about withdrawing my
> subscription because of this posting. I joined this group to learn
> something about Linux. NOT to read a bunch of blast fest bull. It
> is good to see I am not alone here.

Hmmm .... every once in a while there will be "blast fest bull".
Get used to it. Here's why.
We are a passionate lot in our advocacy and widely diverse in our
age, educational level and experience. This is not a professional
society ... it's a bunch of folks from all walks of life whose common
thread of interest is the Linux operating system and the application
programs that go with it. Some of us have Doctorates. Some of us left
school in the seventh grade because we were 22 years old and got a
good job raking the grass at the golfcourse. Some are too young to
date, others are still smooching someone we met 50 years ago. There
is no attempt at uniformity. But the kid with the terminal case of
acne may just be the person who knows how to fix your fonts and the
oldster with unsteady hands may be the one with an unused Cisco 24
port router in the basement you can have for $50 and a six-pack of
Labatts. If something is truly offensive, netiquette calls for
addressing it off-list. If it isn't that important, it isn't that
important.

If Linux users were a laid back lot, Linux might still be looking for
user # 2. And you will have to concede that Craig & Bill have nothing
good to say about Linux. So ... what do you expect from proponents of
"Un-American" software?

Every once in a while the boys (& girls) are gonna let off a little
steam. I hope you are "seasoned" enough to just let it roll off your
back, kick it off to one side and continue to find what you are
looking for on this list. This list, and others like it across the
world, are the absolute best source of insight into this common
passion ... Linux.

If you unsubscribe, you cut yourself off from a lot that is good over
a little that is distasteful. If need be, filter the posts of the
individual involved. I filter some folks myself ... (I especially
don't like profanity and don't care if the person using it is
technically competent or not). Probably others filter me. Oh well.

Welcome to the list. Sit back and enjoy. If you go through the
archives you will see that Norbert posts a fair number of technically
oriented emails also. This time he was trying to share something he
found humorous with the people he thought were his friends. That's
part of the deal when we use "Open Sores" software. Some folks have
no sense of humor, some folks have no friends. :-)

Bill

Mem:   1545352    1253312     292040          0     186176     730968
Swap:   401584       1932     399652
Total: 1946936    1255244     691692
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
1:28am  up 24 days, 23:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.02