Re: [SLUG] Question: Linux for Business

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 15:56:11 EST

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, jeremy bowers wrote:

> Folks-
>
> Demo-ing linux on a small scale for a business in Orlando, and one of the
> main concerns is MS Office compatibility. (Of course) I'm going to recommend
> StarOffice and Applixware as suites, or AbiWord and Gnumeric as
> stand-alone programs.

The KDE 2.2 Koffice is quite good as well ... It just ....
works

> Two part question:
> a.) What's a good equivalent to MS access or powerpoint? Preferably gnome
> and not KDE, with an equivalent "look n' feel" to MS.

Kpresenter ?

Access is harder, for it is a VB environemnt, and a reporting
tool, and does form layout --

glade gives an Open MUCH better than VB workspace, and can do
the Forms part --- as can your favorite html design tool and
PHP on the backend for Forms

MySQL or PostGreSQL gives the database backend

phpMySQLadmin fives table and database management

But I am unaware of a Crystal Reports workalike in Open Source
as an SQL ad-hoc visual report creation too.

... Anyone know of a good one? any one?

-- Russ Herrold