Re: [SLUG] Re: Linux for Business

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 16:43:13 EST

Mario Lombardo wrote:

> I'm curious about MS-Word and Excel VB impregnated documents. How do
> Linux non-MS apps handle this? Is it Glade?
>
> About Wordperfect. I installed a copy of WP for MS-95/98. If the Linux
> version is anything like that, I think your clients will enjoy it more
> than MS-Word. It has much more powerful word processing features at
> your immediate control; instead of embedded in hierarchical menus.
> Floating button boxes just get in the way of your WYSIWYG work.
>
> Mario

Though it is a good suite, I don't think the clients will enjoy the 2
mojor problems with the software:

1) INCREDIBLY slow. Because it runs on wine, the software is pretty
slow, especially the first time it runs.

2) Keeps locking up. Unfortunatelly, after an hour an ha half or so of
use, the software will lock up and then crash, destroying anything which
was not saved. The first sign is that you won't be able to save. Form
there on it's downhill. Also, pray that it wasn't in the middle of an
"auto save" - that'll destroy even saved coppies.

3) The program has a propensity to require a foceable kill once in a
while. It'' start running and just hang - for about 30 minutes, untill
it decides to come put. The only solution is "killall -9 wordperfect".

- this is, of course, of you're running anything else other than Stormix
or Corel Linux.

Again, the software IS decent and if your clients are looking at
windows-like (including running VB macros), then this is deffinitelly
what you're looking for. These are the biggest bugs I've found, however.
They're big enough that I would think twice about putting that
application an a production environment.

Because of stability and usability, my vote has to go for StarOffice,
even the 6.0 "beta" which runs pretty darn well. Corel WPO 2000 is a
good app, but too many bugs keep it from being a great app.

Gnorb