Re: [SLUG] NAT: It works!

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 23:41:17 EST

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 01:14 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 00:11, Russell Hires wrote:
> > I got the script working just fine, but when it's active it kills my smtp
> > mail sending...I guess I'll go through the firewall presentation to
> > figure out how to add a rule to allow mail to be sent via smtp.
>
> Huh?????
>
> What shows up in your logfiles? Is anything getting denied?
(I'm back to dumb questions) Which log files should I be looking at? I looked
at /var/log/messages, and the only thing it shows is Jan 15 23:15:19
localhost -- MARK --
I looked at /var/log/syslog, but it doesn't show anything, either...

I'm wondering if there are any "leftovers" floating around my system from
some experiments I was doing dealing with firewall utilities...how would I
know what to look for?

> > On the machines behind the firewall, I had to do some basic configuration
> > of dns, since names wouldn't resolve...
>
> That's also a little wierd. I've never noticed anything because I run a
> DNS server on my internal network at home, but we've put that script on
> firewall machines facing RoadRunner with Windows boxes behind and
> they've been able to get DNS and do all the other things that normally
> need to happen.
>
> (Lack of DNS might also affect SMTP traffic depending on how you have
> your mailer set up.)

Well, the DNS problem was only on the internel machine. The Firewall machine
doesn't have DNS problems at all...only when I enable the script. Is there a
way to disable it?

Thanks!

Russell