Re: [SLUG] AOL Looking to acquire.... RED HAT?!?!?!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 18:01:08 EST

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 02:26:48PM -0500, Robin (Roblimo) Miller wrote:

> Bpreece wrote:
>
> > Oh Gawd this I hope is a joke.
> >
> > If not then the Linux community can then have a serious problem having a
> > company who
> > also Practices a monopolistic tactics.
>

> I do not agree. I think AOL buying Red Hat would be great -- if it
> really happened. Here's my take:
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/19/1848219

For the most part, I agree. If Red Hat gets out of line, we (the Linux
community) can dump them. I've been told repeatedly that the RH guys are
good guys. If true, then perhaps they might weather this to continue to
do what they're doing. But it's just as possible that the giant that is
AOL-Time Warner will wipe the talent of the company out with poor
policies. If AOL-TW manages to sell AOL/Linux desktops, they're not
going to care much about the Linux community anyway. All this should
make billg seriously scared, since AOL-TW is high on his enemies list.
But billg's a survivor, and it's just possible that he could cut a deal
with AOL-TW which would make them all hoards of money. And of course,
such a deal might well trigger a lot of DOJ scrutiny and might get
squashed.

There's no end of what could happen IF any of this is true in the first
place.

Paul