Re: [SLUG] sendmail

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 14:23:48 EST

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 13:42, Grantham, Patrick wrote:
> I have my box received mail, but I can't configure win clients to retreive
> email from the accounts
> Outlook gives the error:
> Unable to connect to server: error 0x800ccc0e
>
> For the POP3 host name, on the client, I am using the actual IP for the
> server. Both the client and the server are on the same private subet.
>
> Any suggestions?
Are you running a pop3 service? Sendmail is typically used as MTA and/or
MDA. An additional pop3 server service should be running and listening
on port 110 (tcp and udp) or even better with ssl on port 995.
Do a "# netstat -l" to see what ports your box is currently listening
on. Alternately, you can run "# nmap -p 1-1024 localhost".

If pop3 is running and listening, I would check if you any running any
firewall rules that may prevent users from accessing the pop3 port(s).
Matt