[SLUG] Help with tar & FTP

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 01:34:22 EST

Ok, I think I really did it this time. I was backing
up some info from my laptop to my tower. So, I made a
.tgz of my home directory and shot it over to my tower
via FTP (the actual command line FTP command). I later
retrieved it (with gftp) and tried to open it. Here's
what I got (synopsys):

tar xvzf omar.tgz

unpacking...
dir/dir2/
dir/dir2/file
dir/dir3/
dir/file.tgz

**Error, unexpected EOF**

So, it's *starting* to unpack, but it hits an End of
File right at the begining. Any hints as to what it
might be? I'm affraid that for some reason the file
was sent as ASCII (there was a warning of that at the
FTP prompt but it didn't make any sense to me). If
that's the case, is there any way to salvage it? The
file's just over 1gig (as I said, my /home).

Thanks for any help.

Gnorb

=====
If it were not for the last minute, nothing would get done.

-Anonymous