Re: [SLUG] Microsoft Editorial

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 01:23:34 EST

Thank you for your wonderful commentary. I applaud you for it. Not for
what you actually wrote but the way in which you wrote it. You see, my
third grade teacher Mrs. Bidlach, affectionally referred to by the pupils in
her care as Mrs. Bitchlax, was a wholly contemptible creature. You having
written your commentary completely devoid of the rules of a third graders
paragraphs, namely developing a cogent point, have single handledy managed
to refute the skills and lessons that she was attempting to instill in us.
In a small way, you were able to lash out against Mrs. Bitchlax in a way
that I never was able to. Try as I might, even in the third grade I was
always able to write coherent sentences and deliver a point. Thank you
sir. In your poorly formed paragraph, you have managed to strike a blow
against the tyranny of Mrs. Bitchlax and other third grade teachers
everywhere.

Now, if I may be allowed to expand on my thesis. The original letter
writer, namely one Timothy Wright postulated that breaking up Microsoft
would be good for the consumer. One of his central tenets in his argument
was that the breakup of AT&T was "good" and it resulted in greater
competition and lower prices. In real dollars, the breakup of AT&T and
the Telecom Deregulation Act of 1996 did neither for me. Instead of paying
for each phone in my house I am now paying my favorite monopoly Verizon a
monthly Universal Access Charge. The net effect is that I am paying more
today than I was in 1980 in real dollars.

One could argue, with the overall contraction of the telecom industry that,
there is no real competition. In fact, if I had to debate this from the
other side I would have done so myself.

I am merely pointing out that his one argument is flawed.

Now, in lieue of duct tape, I am going to imbibe on some Kahlua and absolut
- a civilized alternative to prevent the spontaneous combustion of one's
head.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Justin Keyes <m9u35@yahoo.com>

Yeah that's great. Dude.... you might as well say the same thing about
Internet exporer: "it's free,
what are you complaining about?"
My retort: "ummmmm...... YEAH IT'S FREE UNTIL IT STARVES ALL THE OTHERS TO
DEATH!"

Now I'm going to get the duct tape. So my head won't explode.

-Justin