[SLUG] Telnet and the Internet

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 18:07:35 EST

I'm trying to set up internet access from workstations via the server at
my office. I'm running into various little problems, but the most odd at
the moment is the fact that when I try to telnet into the server from
a workstation, it opens a ppp connection and dials the modem.

I have pppd set up on the server (bullwinkle) to dial out on demand. It
has the proper nameservers in resolv.conf, and it knows the hosts on the
network from the hosts file. The host.conf file has the usual parameters
to look first at the hosts file and then check the [internet]
nameservers. That's the server.

On the workstation (calvin), I have the same hosts file, the same
resolv.conf, and the same hosts file. route -n reports that bullwinkle
is indeed the gateway for the network. However, pinging won't work from
calvin, if I ping an internet host, even if the ppp connection is up.
But more immediately, telnetting in trips the pppd, causing it to dial
out. This doesn't make sense, since I'm telnetting into bullwinkle,
bullwinkle has a local IP known to calvin, and there's no reason for
bullwinkle to try to look out on the internet when a local machine tries
to telnet into him.

Anyone have any enlightening info?

Paul