Re: [SLUG] Telnet and the Internet

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 11:50:37 EST

These are about as simple as you can get. The named.conf file tells
your nameserver where to go to get info. It has an _options_ block, a
_._ block for the root nameservers, a localhost block, and
lookup/reverse_lookup blocks for your private network. You stick the two
forward statements in the _options_ block to forward outside lookups to
your ISP nameservers. The other blocks just tell the server what files
to look at for info. The named.root and named.local files are usually
provided for you.

You have to make your own lookup/reverse_lookup files, but just
cut-and-replace with the db.192.168.20 and db.cc files provided. You
can rename them, just make sure the file names match what is listed in
named.conf. The contents are almost self-explanatory. If you have a
mail server, you need to add an _MX_ record for it. If any machines
have alternate names (e.g. www), add a _CNAME_ record. Put the files in
the /var/named directory or wherever you state in the _options_ section
of named.conf.

That's it. Any trouble, you know where the HOWTO's are. Remember to
update host.conf, nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf files on each computer.
Use the utility
_nslookup_ to see if, in fact, your resolver libraries are using your
nameserver and if it works.

-Robert

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:36:37PM -0500, Robert Haeckl wrote:
>
> > Setting up DNS on a small private network with static IP's would involve
> > setting up dns lookup and dns reverse lookup files for your network, and
> > adding zone block statements for your network to the named.conf file
> > along with a forwarding statement. The forwarding statement directs
> > your nameserver to forward everything except lookups for your network to
> > your ISP's nameservers. If having some template files to
> > cut-and-replace would help, I can send you a copy of old ones of mine.
> >

> Send away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below. Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
        forwarders { 65.32.1.70; 65.32.2.130; };
        forward only;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;