Re: [SLUG] home network

From: Thomas A. Ufer (tufer@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 23:12:45 EST

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 18:16, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Here's something I never understood. If I put a 486 firewall up (which
> is what I have here), I can configure the ipchains rules in any way I
> want to block, forward, or bounce traffic of any kind. How do you manage
> that with a switch/router?
>
> Paul

You really can't do that with a switch (layer 2), you can create VLANs
and isolate traffic to specific ports. Layer 3 devices give you more
control of traffic.

 In a Cisco router, you create Access Control Lists. These lists can get
very complex and you can limit your traffic in just about anyway you can
imagine. You can base ACL's on protocols, IP addresses, ports, inbound
traffic, outbound traffic, etc.

You can do similar things in a Bay Networks router, oops I mean Nortel
Networks (showing my age), but I forgot what the offical name is for
them.