Re: [SLUG] hire the handicapped

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 21:07:00 EST

Bill wrote:

>I trashed my 'puter last week but have it back up & humming (after a hardware
>brain transplant). Now I need to know how best to mirror my existing web site
>back down to my local hd ... in fact, I -also- want it on my /var/www and
>/var/ftp partitions in preparation for a scheduled DSL installation.
>
>Comments? Suggestions? How-To's?
>
>I have wget installed ... and probably most other similar tools. If not, and
>there is a compelling reason to use something I don't have yet, I'll go get
>it. I am not adept on the command line but neither am I afraid of it (which
>could explain probably 3/4 of my re-installs over the past few years!). It
>looks, from the wget --help file, that there are a number of switches that
>might actually allow me to reconstruct a foreign directory on a local one but
>experience has shown that it is better if I
>
>Bill

If you have shell access to your webserver, I strongly recommend using
CVS. You can "cvs import" your existing directory tree (once), and on
your local box, just type:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:bill@servername.com:/home/bill/cvsroot ; cvs
login {give passwd when prompted} ; cvs checkout mywebsite

then, you can make changes (with vi, bluefish, Quanta+, etc) to your
local copy. When you want to commit those changes to your live website:

localbox:/home/bill/mywebsite> cvs commit -m "These are my changes"
remotebox:/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/billsite> cvs update

CVS was designed for software source code, but it does a wonderful job
at maintaining websites. I cannot stress how great CVS is and how much
of a lifesaver it can be. Even programmers/webmasters working alone on
standalone machines NEED to be using some kind of version control
system; once that is understood, CVS is: free, powerful, stable, easy to
use, and something of a standard in the OpenSource community. If you
prefer GUIs, there are several GUI clients to CVS: Pharmacy, Cervisia,
LinCVS, gCVS, jCVS, etc. Many editors and IDEs also have built-in
support for CVS: CodeForge, SourceNavigator, KDevelop, Quanta Gold (the
Quanta+ HTML editor that comes with SuSE7.3 has a CVS option, but it
seems to be grayed-out), etc.

NOTE: Instead of 'pserver', you should use SSH as an RSH replacement for
better security.
--ronan