Re: [SLUG] Telnet and the Internet

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 18:50:48 EST

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:40:59AM -0500, Mikes work account wrote:

> Excuse this basic question,, just why are we using telnet anyway? Aren't we
> supposed to be using ssh?
>
> I understand that will not answer the initial question, but if you use ssh
> does the same thing happen? what about rlogin?

Here's the reason: stock Red Hat 6.2 (which is what those boxes are)
does not come with ssh. Otherwise, you're right-- I'd use ssh. Also, the
server is only periodically connected to the internet for brief periods;
otherwise, all connections are via the LAN with trusted users. Also,
ssh puts an additional load on the pipe with encryption. So it slows
down the latency. Not a reason to not use ssh, just a comment.

Paul