Re: [SLUG] Telnet and the Internet

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:15:55 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> > come into play -- tcpdmp would show the content of the query
> > in question. Diald relied upon this behaviour to start
> > sessions.
> >

> I'm inclined to agree. I did a bunch of tcpdumping today, just getting
> used to the output and experimenting. I don't know if it shows up in the
> following dump, but I did see some rarping and arping going on. At home,

... close -- but on the wrong interface ... the DNS traffic is
'upstream' on the ppp interface. Add a 'fake' DNS server as
the first listed in /etc/resolv.conf with an IP on the
INTERNAL network on the gateway host, and it will be queried
at first (and not being present, not respond -- so it will
time out, and then query the second server...

 ... I usually run tcpdump with the -n option -- it is wierd
to see it with host names resolved.

-- Russ herrold