Re: [SLUG] I find these two articles disturbing

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 07:37:28 EST

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 06:36 am, you wrote:
> I find the following two articles disturbing. Makes me wonder about the
> future of Linux.
>
> This article is on why gnome 4.0 should be based on .NET
> http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/23919.html
I think Icaza's out of his mind. I can understand not wanting to create
another standard, but to latch onto M$ is really a bad idea. He's sold out? I
don't know...
> And this one from RedHats CEO on why Linux won't rule.
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20020204/tc/q_a_red_hat_ceo_says_linux_won_
>t_rule_1.html

This I understand a little bit better. It sounds like guerilla tactics.
Admitting defeat up front, but continuing to work toward the goal you've been
defeated at...that's smart. The dogs at M$ might get lulled into complacency?
(Wishful thinking there) "Oh, they're admitting defeat. Next contender,
please." Redhat's not big enough to fight M$, either. But IBM is. RH is going
to let someone else do some cheerleading for a while, while RH gets its act
together, makes more money, and slowly, quietly continues to creep around
M$'s territory. You can bet anyone who speaks privately with the CEO will get
a different story than the one that got published.

Russell Hires