[SLUG] Desktop LCD Monitors

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 11:35:34 EST

My monitor just croaked and I'm getting tired of this backup 14"
standard VGA with 640x480 res. I don't really want a large CRT monitor
on my desk. TCWO has a 15" AOC LM-500 LCD Panel listed for $349. Specs
are at:

http://www.aocmonitor.com/default.asp

Here's a review and overview of LCD monitors, but this one isn't
compared:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/index.html

I couldn't find much on monitors at LinuxHardware.org. Questions:

1) Anybody familiar with this monitor and is it reliable? Is a 120
degree horizontal viewing area comparable to, say, a laptop?
2) Contrast ratio (250:1) and response time (50ms) on this monitor seem
inferior to those listed in the review. Would these be really
noticeable?
3) Are there any differences between setting up an LCD vs. a CRT? Any
reason it wouldn't be compatible with a KVM?
4) Will XFree86 4.0 recognize it?
5) Any general annoyances in hindsight that would have changed your mind
about getting an LCD monitor?

-Robert