Re: [SLUG] 486's and keyboards

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 20:35:11 EST

On Sunday 10 February 2002 16:22, you wrote:

> I've got a bunch of headless 486 machines where the BIOS doesn't have an
> option to run without a keyboard. I finally constructed a bunch of pigtail
> fake keyboards.

Okay ... that sounds like it could work ... but would be kinda kludgy. I seem
to recall (back when Computer Shopper was a good place to learn about
computers) reading about some sort of plug in "dummy" devices consisting of a
plug and just enough circuitry to fake a keyboard / mouse. Does anyone know
what they were called / where to get them? If I knew what they were called, I
could probably track them down online.

It seems they would have been simple enough to be home-brewed ... sending
just enough signal to reassure the bios that all was well.

Better yet would be a bios adaptation so that a keyboard would be used if
present, ignored if not.

I have a Phoenix bios on my HP and it doesn't mention the keyboard in the
bios at all ... so there is no opportunity to experiment with disabling it. I
can run the darned thing remotely once it is booted but would just as soon
put it downstairs now that I have it 100% configured ... well out of reach of
my current cables but well within reach of the eth cabling.

Bill

--
We're sorry, but due to ongoing security concerns, we no longer accept e-mail
attachments created by Microsoft applications. Please accept our apologies for