Re: [SLUG] DHCP or BIND

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 23:03:40 EST

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I've never really untangled DNS for myself, but I'm working on

dhcp client leases address from
dhcp daemon keeps track of pools from which to grant
                               leases and static IP assignments

bind (dns) converts to and from numeric and textual
                               mappings for host names and IP
                               numbers

<rant>
No real NEED for one to know what the other is doing, unless
one wishes to Embrace Extend and Extinguish -- then one might
also add a way to hand out magic undocumented protocol tokens
to partially documented ActiveX controls. This can move
in-band on say, port 80, and avoid pesky firewalls; and act as
a enabling private key token to keep outsiders from being able
to participate in the conversation ... call it an Active
Directory

Being good marketers, we could also make it to sound like,
say, a competitor's product -- Novell's Directory Services --
which is a variant of LDAP [a general, extensible, scalable,
replicable, and securable "phone directory" system to look up
arbitrary "objects"], and confuse end users who are a bit
vague about these things, so that they inadvertently feel a
"NEED" for the product; "It is their latest - it MUST be the
best" ... and finish nailing the coffin lid down on those
pesky Novellians.

We should also insist on being the master node, rather than
interoperating on currently existing standards -- Who are the
IETF to tell US how to serve our customers, after all? Just a
bunch of pencil necked geeks. If other people can figure out
how to interoperate without reasonable API documents, well, OK
but, we'll stop THAT in the next revision ...
</rant>

Naw ... I am just being paranoid -- that would be an abuse of
monopoly power, if I had say over 85% of the desktop market
share.

-- Russ Herrold