Re: [SLUG] DHCP or BIND

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 23:47:19 EST

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:03:40PM -0500, Russ Herrold wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > I've never really untangled DNS for myself, but I'm working on
>
> dhcp client leases address from
> dhcp daemon keeps track of pools from which to grant
> leases and static IP assignments

> bind (dns) converts to and from numeric and textual
> mappings for host names and IP
> numbers

So you would need dhcp to assign dynamic non-routable IPs on your
network. But if you wanted for machine alfa to talk to machine bravo on
your network, you'd still need BIND, right? This seems only reasonable,
since with dhcp you're not setting up a hosts file, and the [internet]
nameservers in resolv.conf aren't going to tell you the IPs of machines
on your network. In other words, in order for local machines to be able
to resolve IPs/addresses _on your network_, you'd still need something
running to do that. Which would be BIND, right?

(Please excuse me if I seem to be beating this issue to death. The
examples I've seen in books don't exactly match the type of small
network I'm talking about.)

Paul