Re: [SLUG] DHCP or BIND

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 01:27:25 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

>clip
>
> In other words, in order for local machines to be able
> to resolve IPs/addresses _on your network_, you'd still need something
> running to do that. Which would be BIND, right?

My quick answer is:

You don't need BIND or DHCP if you have a private network that isn't
connected to the internet. Just provide static IP's for each machine,
include all host_names/IP_addresses in each machine's /etc/hosts file,
and edit the machines' /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf files such that
the files will be checked by the resolver rather than using DNS.
Resolving IP addresses isn't a problem.

But....

How reverse lookups are done without a nameserver, I don't know. Some
programs like TCP_wrappers (used by inetd) may need to do reverse
lookups. I don't know if /etc/resolv.conf is consulted only or if the
lookup defaults back to /etc/hosts.

-Robert