[SLUG] Cable to DSL conversion

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 11:36:37 EST

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!! It's here! It's here!

The techie from Ameritech called at 8:10 am to verify what equipment she
needed to bring. By 9:10, she was gone and it was working on ONE Windows
machine.

I set the Linksys router to PPoE and applied the change, then adjusted the
cabling (basically just had to move the wire from the cable modem to the DSL
modem). Reboot everybody and I'm back in business. :-) It was that simple.
She left behind a SpeedStream 5260 modem and 5 line filters which I don't
seem to need.

My DSL contract calls for 768/128 with one IP.

Here's what the Ameritech lady says I have:
        Down Up
Min 768 160
Max 6987 727

It *does* feel "frisky". One thing I am noticing that is dramatically
different is that it takes Kmail a LOT less time to upload an email. I am
accustomed to about a 10 second wait. What is funky about this is that I am
still on the Comcast email servers and still connected via the same eth0
through the same router. Why would the behavior of Kmail change when all I
have changed is the mode of transmission?

Okay ... so the basic setup was a breeze. I still have lots more work to do.

I can't find fault, of any sort, with anything I have experienced so far. The
line came up immediately, the speed is excellent, both Ameritech and WWNET
have done exactly as they said they would ... so far it's all good. The one
surprise (Kmail) is a good one.

Bill

--
We're sorry, but due to ongoing security concerns, we no longer accept e-mail
attachments created by Microsoft applications. Please accept our apologies for