[SLUG] DHCP question

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 07:17:19 EST

Hi all:
   I have a DHCP question (@tampabay.rr.com - via eth0) that might
apply to any network connection. (I don't know)

   Twice now after a cold boot I tried to get my E-mail and it
was operating at sub-light speed, something was seriously wrong.
I killed dhcpd (my way to disconnect), my script file displays
"route" before and after, getting the before information took
about 30 seconds, rather than under 2 which is `normal.
When I ran "net-up" everything was perfectly normal, both times.

   Does any connection test/s come to mind (for this) that I can
put in my boot up procedures to send me an alarm, being a HAM
these are sent through the speakers in Morse code, so there's
no chance I will miss it/them.
and
   Is this the best way to kill the connection via eth0?

   It would also be nice to be able to quickly test if there
is a connection or not, in case my weak mind runs my net-up
script when it is already running. (my attempts have failed)

       73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
    100% LINUX, 100% of the time. SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm