Re: [SLUG] A ggod one for all of you,,

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 16:52:07 EST

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 08:43, you wrote:
I recall a few years back that was possible with SCO
> or was it Unix?? I don't recall.
>
> Do any of you have any experience in keeping a data file in ram
> continuously?
>
> Michael C. Rock

Mike ... an old stunt from DOS days is to create a ram disk and treat it as a
harddrive. I just compiled a fresh 2.4.17 kernel and noticed that thsi is
supported by the kernel. Might give that a whirl. Works best with binaries or
read-only data. Not a good idea for live data unless you arrange for periodic
(frequent) writes to the real drive ... and that would put you back at square
one.

There are probably a lot of ways to accomplish what you mention -- this is
just one of them.

Bill