[SLUG] dot com fallout and cannon fodder :-(

From: Josh Tiner (josh.tiner@worldwidephp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 18:41:06 EST

This post is somewhat relevant to the linux interest...

Hey all - just got news today that my company may be not doing as well as
one may have hoped (special thanks to our funding who has an obsession with
micromanagement, bad marketing, and misunderstanding of the development
lifecycle) - I wanna find a new position (working with linux / unix (apache,
postgres, mysql, perl, etc) of course!) around tampa - but it appears that
the market is of course saturated with all these know-nothings and newbies
with their fresh MCSE, MCP or [insert your worthless certification here]...

Very disheartening. Before it happens I want to go ahead, stick my head out,
see what kind of networking I can do before I find myself out in the cold
during a recession.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can provide - I really love working
linux and the internet - but more and more it's looking like it's a dying
profession. I'm pretty dissapointed. I'd really hate to find myself, knowing
what I know about databases and datamanagement, changing the oil on somebody
1986 Nissan at the local Gas 'n Lube. :-(

Sincerely,
-Josh