Re: [SLUG] Perl Thing

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 17:39:44 EST

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Bob Stia wrote:

> No installation required. The whole file is perl. Only problem is
> that I cannot start the program. I have the proper version of perl
> and Tcl/Tk. How does one start the script?

There are a few issues that could raise their heads...

First, you will need to know *which* script it is you want to run. Let's
say it's /usr/local/games/solitaire. The file must be executable so you
can type

        /usr/local/games/solitaire

on the command line to get it to run.

Assuming that's all ready to go, the script itself might reference its
interpreter in a specific location. That is, the first line of the script
might read

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl

where *your* Perl is actually located in /usr/bin/perl. The way to get
around this is to edit the script in question or just run the script like
you do with java programs:

        perl /usr/local/games/solitaire

If you *still* can't run the script, there's a few more things you can
try. (More on that if these steps fail.)

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com