[SLUG] HELP Please.

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 07:12:02 EST

I have a co-worker who lives in Religh NC. That seems to be having a
hell of a time getting FTP to work on a Linux server. This poor guy has
installed Linux at least 6 times trying to fix the problem. I tried to
explain to him that we aren't dealing with winodows and you don't have
to reinstall everytime something doesn't work. Or reboot after you
install somethig other than the kernal. But I gave up trying to explain
that.

So here is what he claims is happening. He can install Linux RedHat 7.1
and everything is working fine. Then he goes to bed and wakes up the
next morning and now he can't ftp to the box any longer.

Well here it is in his words:
--------------------------------------
I reloaded that server last evening and moved all the files over to
it before I went to bed. So at 11 last night I could ftp in move
files around and all was well.

Tonight I can't ftp to that box. So there must be a timed something
another that is rendering the ftp access to that box void after so
many hours.

At least there is some consistency in that the previous versions
also worked for a while and then stopped. I thought it had to do
with the memory or something. Now I'm convinced it's the OS that's
buggy.

I've just never heard of such a thing.
I don't run ftp I only use scp (tried to convence him of that also and
gave up doing so).
Anyway I don't have much experience with FTP, but I can't believe there
is something in the OS that says don't run ftp after 12 hours :) Does
anyone have any idea where to look for this guys problem? Linux isn't
making much of an impression on him right now and I was hoping to show
him that we could replace windows on our servers with it. But right now
I don't think he is going to by into an OS he feels is stopping his
programs from running. He really is a windows person :)

Thanks very much for any help on this.
Mike M.

--
perl -ne'chomp;$a.=pack"h*",$_;END{print"\n$a\n\n"}'<<RM
c496e657870225f636b6371202d49636f62737f6664702355736b637