[SLUG] RE: Laptops

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato513@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 00:01:54 EST

Hi all,
  I am looking for a laptop thats not real expensive. I only want it
for doing text files and doing some lessons on programming in Linux that
I am doing on line. These are the specs for one machine that I am
looking at. I know its been discussed before but I don't remember what
was said about Dell's Lattitude line. This is a Lattitude CPXJ650. I
appreciate and value your opinions. Thanks, Maureen

Use of standards and open systems design Validated
industrial designPROCESSORIntel® Pentium III processor
with mobile performance enhancements With Intel's
SpeedStep techology - 650MHz 256KB L2 cacheMEMORY256MB Standard - 512MB
Maximum2 DIMM slotsSTORAGE12.0 GB Hard Drive3.5" 1.44MB diskette,
removableOPTICAL DEVICESDVD-ROMCOMMUNICATIONS56K v.90 modem10/100
LAN connectionAUDIOAudio controller-ESS Maestro interface to AC97 Codec;
dBlaster[tm]emulationIntegrated Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audio
64VGRAPHICSVivid 14.1" XGA (1024 x 768) active matrix (TFT) displaysATI
Mobility M1 graphics accelerator with 8MB internal video memoryI/O
SLOTSPC Card controller: Texas Instruments PCI 1225 CardBus
controllerTwo Type I or Type II PC Card slots or one type III card3.3V
and 5V Cards supportedBus type: PCIData width: PCMCIA (16
bits); CardBus (32 bits)DRIVE BAYSMedia bay supports optional 6X
DVD-ROM, optional LS-120 Drive, optional second Lithium battery,
optional second 18GB hard drive, diskette drive, travel moduleI/O
PORTS9-pin serial connector; 16550-compatible,16-byte
buffer25-pin parallel connector (unidirectional, bidirectional, or
ECP)15-pin video connectorPS/2 style keyboard/keypad/mouse: (one) 6-pin
mini-DIN (does not support more than one device at a time)Infrared: one
port compatible with IrDA Standards 1.1 (Fast IR) and 1.0 (Slow
IR)Audio: microphone-in-jack; line-in/audio-in jack; headphones/speakers
jackUSB-compliant connectorDocking:
(one) 200-pin connector for the Latitude C/Port II, Advanced
Port Replicator or C/Dock II Expansion stationS-Video
connectorINPUT DEVICES87 key U.S. LayoutTouch pad pointing
deviceCHASSISStarting at 5.3 lbs. and 1.5" thin1.52"(h) x 12.05"(w) x
9.49"(d)POWERLong lasting Smart Lithium Ion batteriesDell's unique
ExpressCharge[tm]feature lets you charge your battery in about an hour;
Standard-sized second battery optionSOFTWAREMicrosoft Windows 95