Re: [SLUG] MS Threatens to Pull Windows From Market?!

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 23:42:57 EST

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 22:19, you wrote:

> > PS ... Ballmer may know more about how ready MSFT is to deliver
> > "applications as web services" than we've been told.
>
> Note that he said that "it would mean for us to..." Not that he would.
> Plus MS has now delayed the release of .net. Does not look to ready to me.

Duly noted.

That is just the only scenario I could come up with where Ballmer might
actually make good on the threat. However, I think it possible that .net
would be set back even more readily for social reasons as technical ones so I
don't find a lagging release date at all reassuring.

MSFT has never shown the least reluctance to release buggy software in the
past if doing so would help them preempt a market or steal an opponents
thunder. They'll release .net whenever they think it will bring them the
greatest advantage and I doubt if they'll wait until it is reliable, secure
or even especially useful (to anyone but them). This DOJ stuff is
inconvenient ... but hardly menacing.

People on lists like this one will read the statements closely and weigh them
against what we already know. The popular press acknowledges no such
constraints. In real life, Atlas can't shrug without dying.